Colder weather is finally here. Snuggle up with your favorite person and enjoy a delicious mug of the perfect hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate was one of my favorite winter drinks when I was younger.
Not much has changed since then because now that it’s starting to get colder outside, I had to whip up my favorite homemade hot chocolate recipe.
I’ve definitely had my fair share of pre-made hot chocolate, but there is nothing quite like the rich flavor you get when you make it from scratch.
Besides, when you make it yourself you have complete control over how many marshmallows you add to it.
I don’t know about you, but I’m not keen on making hot chocolate in large batches.
In my humble opinion, it always tastes best when its freshly made.
That said, there are a few things that you want to keep in mind when you’re making it from scratch!
First, it’s crucial that you thoroughly combine all of the dry ingredients before adding any water or milk.
Once combined, you want to cook over low heat making sure not to burn the chocolate.
Let me just say, burnt chocolate is NOT where it’s at!
So be sure that you keep an eye on the chocolate while it’s heating.
I promise I’m going to get to the recipe but I have to leave you with this final tip!
Once you add the milk to your chocolate, be careful not to allow it to boil.
Similarly to burnt chocolate, boiled milk in hot chocolate is NOT where it’s at.
Now that we’ve gotten those basics out of the way, you’re ready to whip up this delicious hot chocolate recipe.
Feel free to add all of the marshmallows and whipped cream that your heart desires.
I like to garnish mine with a small peppermint candy cane for additional flair.
You could also add a bit of peppermint oil for a nice refreshing flavor.
If you enjoyed this hot chocolate recipe, you’d love these delicious cake mix Christmas Cookies!
How do you enjoy hot chocolate during the cold winter months?
Let me know down in the comments!
The Perfect Hot Chocolate For Two
- 4 tbsp Natural Unsweetened 100% Cacao Powder
- 1/2 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 cups milk
- Grab two of your favorite mugs and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Cacao Powder, Sugar, Salt and Cinnamon. Be sure to mix well.
- Put the saucepan over low heat and add in the water. Make sure that mixture does not burn.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk to the mixture and actively stir making sure that the chocolate does not boil.
- Once you’ve reached the desired temperature, pour the hot chocolate into your mugs.
- Top with marshmallows and whipped cream sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon if desired.